[opendtv] Re: TV Ratings Have Hurt Creative Side of Television, Says Netflix Content Boss Sarandos | Variety

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 10:35:54 -0500

> On Dec 10, 2014, at 7:52 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Craig, not well known for reading comprehension, continues to misunderstand.
>
> For the 1500th time: VOD is NOT UNIQUE TO OTT SITES.

Duh

Never said it was. What I keep saying, and you keep misunderstanding, is that
there is a major shift in the way pre-produced programming is being consumed.
People are moving away from appointments for live streams to any of several
ways to consume these programs on demand:

1. By recording on a DVR
2. By using a MVPD VOD service
3. By using an authenticated OTT service that requires a MVPD subscription
4. Bu using an ad supported OTT service like Hulu or a content owners OTT site
5. By waiting and using a SVOD OTT service like Netflix of Amazon Prime
6. By buying the show, or complete season, from a download store like iTunes or
Amazon

> VOD is also available using proprietary methods, or using IP, which cable
> systems have implemented internally for several years. Therefore, to imply
> that OTT sites are mostly successful because they offer VOD is just plain
> wrong.

So why are they successful Bert? Don’t bother answering.

Clearly the fact that their content is available on demand is one of several
factors. Obviously they provide access to programs that people want to see for
various reasons:

They missed the live stream;
They heard about the series from a friend and want to catch up;
They like to binge view their favorite shows;
They want to watch the show on THEIR schedule.

> HBO and other cable channels are available VOD, and yet they are not OTT
> sites. Craig has a tough time explaining this.

No Bert, YOU have a tough time understanding this.

ALL TV Everywhere services are OTT sites; this includes HBO Go. They just
require authentication, which is also true for SVOD sites like Netflix.

It is true that Comcast and other MVPDs ALSO offer VOD services for many of
these shows, but this has NOTHING to do with the TV everywhere sites. You
cannot access most MVPD VOD services without their proprietary STBs.

>> Seriously? The Millennials will steal programs that they are not
>> paying for?
>
> No problem. Just make the content available ad-supported, over a Netflix or
> other ad-supported companion site (e.g. Hulu vs Hulu Plus).

Eventually many of these programs do make their way to the services you
mention. But the authenticated sites offer live streams anywhere (especially
important for sports), and early access to the most popular pre-produced shows
like The Walking Dead.