[opendtv] Re: TV Ratings Have Hurt Creative Side of Television, Says Netflix Content Boss Sarandos | Variety

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:25:36 -0500

On Dec 13, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Whoa, what a totally bizarre line of reasoning.
>
> If sports addicts have "no reason" to bail out of MVPD walled gardens, then
> it must mean that they are satisfied with the service and what it costs them.
> In which case, the walled gardens can keep raising prices, until they notice
> a drop in demand. That's how we set prices in the US economic system.

Welcome to reality Bert.

I have mentioned several times that the cost of MVPD service is not viewed as
being unaffordable by a significant portion of the population, especially
sports fans, and families that have multiple viewers, each of which watched a
different set of channels. You must consider the fact that other options for
entertainment have also become quite expensive. Taking the family to a baseball
of football game can cost the equivalent of 3-4 months of MVPD service. A trip
to the theater can cost more Han a month of MVPD service.

And you continue to ignore the reality that a portion of the cord cutters and
shavers dropped their service because of the economy and unemployment.

> Like I said previously, **if** subscribership to MVPD walled gardens was
> still on the rise, or at the very least, was not on the decline, **then** the
> Moonves' and Skippers would not be brainstorming new alternatives. This
> situation, in the US, is only true now for US football/basketball/baseball
> fanatics.
> You say, "they have no reason to bail"? Well then, they should be happy to
> pay the higher prices. No problem.

Every new enabling technology causes the content owners to re-evaluate their
current business models and brainstorm new ones. We've been over this ad
nauseam.

You are wrong about sports fanatics. There are a huge number of MVPD
subscribers who do not watch sports. There are people who veg out on shopping
channels; people who watch an endless array of documentaries and old movies;
and children who watch Disney and Nickelodian.

I have no reason to cut off my electric, water and sewer service. Apparently I
must shut up and not complain about abusive monopolies.