[opendtv] Re: TV Ratings Have Hurt Creative Side of Television, Says Netflix Content Boss Sarandos | Variety

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 01:10:22 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Welcome to reality Bert.
>
> I have mentioned several times that the cost of MVPD service is not
> viewed as being unaffordable by a significant portion of the
> population, especially sports fans, and families that have multiple
> viewers,

If the content owners agreed with you, Craig, they wouldn't be thinking up new
schemes. The fact is, MVPD subscriptions have dropped SOME, and "the bundle"
subscriptions have dropped MORE, which shows to these content owners that they
have to do something different. At least, for non-sports-fans.

That's all that matters, in the end. What these guys think. Not what some
rather vague words might speculate. Not even what the MVPDs might prefer to be
the case.

> And you continue to ignore the reality that a portion of the cord
> cutters and shavers dropped their service because of the economy
> and unemployment.

I don't ignore that. Instead, I noticed that the drop in MVPD subscriptions
occurred initially in 2013, and accelerated in 2014, which kind of demonstrates
that it ain't just the economy. If the bad economy was to blame for an initial
reduction, perhaps people are discovering that the alternatives aren't half bad?

> You are wrong about sports fanatics. There are a huge number of
> MVPD subscribers who do not watch sports.

Huge number and falling. You keep forgetting "and falling."

> I have no reason to cut off my electric, water and sewer service.

And aren't we lucky that these utilities are regulated to the point that they
don't increase fees faster than inflation.