[opendtv] Re: TV Ratings Have Hurt Creative Side of Television, Says Netflix Content Boss Sarandos | Variety

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:59:58 -0500

> On Dec 17, 2014, at 6:23 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nope, it's instead another example of your selective forgetfulness. This was
> reported in an article. About 4.6 percent drop for ESPN, and 4.5 percent drop
> for TNT.
>
> http://www.fiercecable.com/story/wsj-consumers-not-cutting-cord-theyre-shaving-it/2014-10-10
>
> This must be the third time I've had to repeat this to you, Craig. Could you
> please save it somewhere, so I don't have to do this again?

Sorry Bert. I guess I need to be absolutely specific when I challenge you.

The guesstimate I was referring to is that only 80% of US homes receiver ESPN.
The article you cite estimates that ESPN was in 95.2 million homes in
September. Neilsen estimates that there are about 116 million homes at the same
point in time. Do the math, Bert, that's 82%, two percentage points higher than
your guesstimate.

> Wrong. Not (virtually) simultaneous with "the bundle" broadcast, for
> reasonable "season pass" price. This is new, Craig. And it categorically
> contradicts your previous claim that content from "the bundle" remains
> exclusively in "the bundle" (until released on DVD or other, after a
> considerable delay).

New since 2005. Get over it.

> The option of paying a single, low season price, for undelayed viewing
> without MVPD subscription, is instead competitive. This is new this year, as
> far as I can tell. I wonder why you feel compelled to dispute this.

Because it has been possible since 2005 Bert. And paying $30 - 50 for the
season pass to ONE PROGRAM is not cheap. I've already done the math to compare
to the cost of the extended basic bundle I won't bore everyone with this again.