[opendtv] Re: Forbes: 5 Online Video Trends To Look For In 2015

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:45:10 -0500

> On Dec 17, 2014, at 6:02 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> As usual, Craig prefers to wax eloquent about something that everybody
> already knows. That's way, way old news, Craig.

Really? Please tell us about automated marketing systems, ad buying systems,
and the other emerging technologies discussed in the article.

> The article describes how the new, preferred TV viewing techniques are great
> for the new online-only productions, right? As if for some reason,
> millennials prefer that content over TV network content. That's the only
> point in the article that deserved any sort of response, IMO.

No. It says that there are opportunities in this area; it does not say that
Millennials prefer this type of content over traditional linear entertainment
programming. In fact it says that there are problems with engagement:

> The U.S. is watching more videos online than ever before (38.2 billion videos
> in Q2 2014 alone - an increase of 43% over last year). However, the
> percentage of viewers who actually watch an entire video to its completion is
> low, and poor engagement and low conversion is a common - and expensive -
> problem.

> Targeting ads better, again, is old news. Making ads interactive, at least
> forcing interactivity (i.e. all freezes unless the viewer does something), is
> a colossal nuisance. I would be astonished if the ad agencies don't figure
> this out in short order.

Fortunately, this is not what the article was describing. Nor is it just
targeted ads. It is about engagement of a person at multiple levels via
multiple media.

> And fancy new ways of introducing ads in the program are THE main stumbling
> block of online viewing, causing essentially ALL streaming glitches, in my
> years of experience watching TV this way. Some site introduces a new
> technique, and then it takes Flash usually two or three iterations of updates
> to get it right and resolve the glitches. (Or it could be that the site
> itself is fixing problems during that time - hard for me to tell which.)

Maybe Flash is the problem Bert.

Do you see display ads on websites Bert. These ads are inserted based on data
about your search behavior. I'm not saying this is a wonderful thing, just that
it is far more productive for advertisers than paying very high rates for a
faceless audience.

> And then some other site introduces another new scheme, and we're back to
> having to weather that nuisance for many more weeks and months.
>
> Forgive me for not getting excited about this "marketing" aspect, which Craig
> finds fascinating.

Not surprised. You are the guinea pig for most of this stuff because you choose
to avoid paid services that are ad free.