[opendtv] Re: TV Ratings Have Hurt Creative Side of Television, Says Netflix Content Boss Sarandos | Variety

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 07:35:09 -0500

One other thought about the impact of ratings on content.

When TV distribution was limited, and revenue could only be generated by
advertising, the lowest common denominator often was in play. Can't find a
quote, but I recall comments that TV shows were targeted to the intelligence/
maturity level of an eight year old. And the limited number of channels
certainly had an impact on the networks. Ability to target niche demographics
and programming.

Today the average TV viewer is paying hundreds of dollars a year for their TV
fix, and the 500 channel universe is filled with special interest content.

Sarandos is certainly correct in saying that ratings - or the lack thereof -
are having an impact on the creative community. The big difference today is
that viewers now have the ability and the desire to avoid ads altogether.

But I strongly suspect that Serandos is very interested in the data that his
servers collect on how many people watch what on Netflix. Both in terms of what
he pays to license a show from the content congloms, and what he will pay the
creative community for the next Netflix exclusive series.