[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:11:03 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> i was just going to ignore this stupid response
> from Bert until I became a Marxist...

I usually try to restrain myself when describing
your "logic," Craig. Here are perfect examples.

> > Or they could solve the problem by allowing only the
> > highest bidders access to the spectrum. Again, not much
> > difference from what we have today.
>
> Really. The telcos will be surprised to hear this.

Follow the logic, if you can. I was explaining that the
phone company simly uses a first come first served
strategy. The I was listing OTHER possible strategies
this utility COULD adopt, to show that all you've done
is create another gatekeeper. And in all the verbiage
you supplied, you still failed to show that you've
solved anything at all.

> If all you need is a few hours a week to deliver your
> bits, the chances are excellent that you will be able to
> find an affordable time slot to deliver your bits.

First of all, the real demand for bandwidth will continue
to be during prime time, unless broadcasters and content
creators decide to make use of recording devices and time
shifting. And secondly, *if* you say that the bigger
companies keep out the smaller ones now, they can continue
to do so by paying to get junk transmitted on your
utility, outside of prime time. Even if they sublet their
spectrum to infomercial creators. If they pay, they get
access. If this utility is market driven, they simply
give spectrum to the highest bidder.

> The only reason that "piracy" exists is that market
> forces to properly price the content do not exist.

The "only" reason? Prove it. I might agree that one reason
for piracy is what you describe, but another reason is
that stealing is extremely easy and painless.

> > The same solution [making use of remote storage as
> > bandwidth multiplier] solves the bandwidth problem for
> > either model. Hence, ORTHOGONAL to this discussion.
>
> Wrong again. You keep citing 24/7 streams/channels. They
> eat up plenty of bandwidth, but hardly anyone is watching
> much of the time. If you replace this with a
> subscriber/download model, you free up vast amounts of
> bandwidth.

DUH, Craig. And you don't need a single spectrum utility
to achieve this. Any broadcaster can do this TODAY.

The rest is not worth responding to. Just going around in
circles.