[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:55:07 -0400

The government could probably create a spectrum market fairly
quickly simply by leasing all spectrum to the highest bidders
instead of selling or "loaning" it.  Lease cost could be adjusted
periodically based upon market forces, with staggered lease
expirations.  The government wouldn't have to actually run the any
spectrum utility, simply ensure that no one could just squat on
the spectrum by making that squat too expensive.

But I'm not sure the spectrum would be considered worth as much if
you didn't get to be a permanent gatekeeper. (mixed blessing)

- Tom