[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:09:13 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What is important is not the source resolution but delivering a
> sharp, high quality picture to the average display.

No, Craig, it's not to the AVERAGE display, it's to the BEST
display.

> Last I looked the average size of a new HD capable display was still
> way south of 60 inch diagonal. 720P is more than adequate for screens
> with diagonals up to 70-80 inches.

720p is adequate for ANY size display if you sit far enough back!

I'd say that for most people 720p is great for 40 inch displays
like I own, and OK at 60 inches. But at anyting over 50 inches,
you really clearly will be happier with better .... unless
the incoming sigal is fuzzy, of course.

Doug McDonald