[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:47:23 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > It will be interesting to see how this plays out in Congress.
If the
 > broadcast flag or equivalent is not included in the rewrite of the
 > communications act, this could be a signal to the conglomerates
that
 > the era of Free TV is over, and that's OK with their friends in
the
 > Nation's capital.

Sorry but I do not at all think my predicted lower quality of
broadcast TV means the end of it.  It is normal price
discrimination between similar products targeted at the two groups
of OTA viewers and HxDVD buyers.  The market will determine how
much lower quality OTA becomes, and whether it goes away (which I
doubt).

The lower quality OTA functions both to sell ad's and to advertise
the eventual DVD's for the winners.  And note that watching OTA,
or even pirated OTA, this way may lead to an INCREASE in the sales
of these (H)DVD's if done right.  Think of the original OTA dramas
and movies as a teaser show where you want to own the high detail
real one, plus the missing episodes, with gratuitous sex &
violence, sans logos.

And I DO think picture quality will count as everybody gets
displays where they can see it and start to expect it.

- Tom