[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:38:13 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> At 12:09 PM -0500 5/19/05, Doug McDonald wrote:
>
>>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>>

>>> What is important is not the source resolution but delivering a
>>> sharp, high quality picture to the average display.
>>>

>>No, Craig, it's not to the AVERAGE display, it's to the BEST
>>display.
>>

> You've got to be kidding.
>
> This is a digital television system for the masses;  perhaps a whole
> lot more. But one thing it ain't is a play toy for videophiles and
> the folks who hang out at the AVS forum.
>
> According to Hollywood, "The Best" is 4K x 2K on a gigantic screen.
> Is this what you are expecting from DTV?

Of course not. I'm referring to the best displays that display
720@60p and 1080@30p and 1080@60p. Size is immaterial for
this purpose, as long as it's reasonable .... at least say 40 inches,
and more typically 50-90 inches, or larger if the viewing distance
is larger. We hsould be aiming for the best that can be done within the
constraints of MPEG-2 and 19.3 mb/sec.

I've noticed a substantial loss in quality in many shows
since I got my TV set. This is usually caused by an intentional
misfocus so the head at that center of interset is out of focus.

Doug McDonald