[nanomsg] Re: Simplifying CMake build

  • From: Schmurfy <schmurfy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:01:14 +0200

nice !
there is something else that was not mentioned in the discussion: getting
the dependencies right to actually build the configure script can be a real
nightmare with autotool/automake spitting errors and warnings about missing
m4 macros when all I wanted was just building this damn thing (I am not
speaking about nanomsg here), it already happened to me many times and I
just gave up on the idea.
That's certainly not a coincidence that most projects using these tools add
the configure script to version control...

On the other hand it never happened to me with cmake, you either have the
right version or you don't and it clearly tells you, add on top of that
that cmake actually can be installed from sources painlessly.

I am also a big fan of out of tree build, that's a lot cleaner than having
all these artefacts in the sources folder.