[nanomsg] Re: Simplifying CMake build

  • From: Sergei Nikulov <sergey.nikulov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:01:56 +0400

Hi Martin,

My two cents in-line

2013/8/29 Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Bruce,
>

>  There was a single working build system that worked on all platforms
>> before. I think the question is why this actually needed to change
>> (outside of ideological reasons).
>>

> 1. CMake doesn't work that well for cross-building.

Who said that? What was the exact problem and was it raised in "cmake-dev"
list?

> 2. CMake-generated packages have CMake dependency whereas autotools
> packages are not dependent on autotools

Could you please provide name for that dependency?

> 3. As I was said, maintainers are various unix distros find it easier
> (more standard?) to work with autotools than with CMake.
>
> I am not an expert on the topic, but feel free to discuss the claims above
> (on non-ideologic basis).

I agree with Bruce - if it works why you cut it off?
It was an option - somebody who use it will support it and provide you with
pull request.
I don't think it was intrusive for source code.

--
Best Regards,
Sergei Nikulov