[nanomsg] Re: Simplifying CMake build

  • From: Sergei Nikulov <sergey.nikulov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:22:04 +0400

Martin,

2013/8/30 Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Sergei,
>

>      1. CMake doesn't work that well for cross-building.
>>

>> Who said that? What was the exact problem and was it raised in
>> "cmake-dev" list?
>>

> Find the discussion here: https://github.com/250bpm/**
> nanomsg/pull/80#issuecomment-**20920440<https://github.com/250bpm/nanomsg/pull/80#issuecomment-20920440>
>
> AFAIU, it's not a specific bug, rather the overall state of
> cross-compilation support in CMake vs. autotools.

It is not true. CMake can be and used for cross compilation.

>>     2. CMake-generated packages have CMake dependency whereas autotools
>>     packages are not dependent on autotools
>>

>> Could you please provide name for that dependency?
>>

> When you unpack the source package you have to do "cmake .", thus cmake
> has to be installed.
>
> With autotools, the ./configure script is bundled in the package, so you
> don't need autotools installed to build the package.

To my knowledge when you do 'configure', autotools and perhaps m4 has to be
installed :-)
Now what? You have autotools for linux and cmake for windows.
Instead of one tool you've got both.

>  I agree with Bruce - if it works why you cut it off?
>> It was an option - somebody who use it will support it and provide you
>> with pull request.
>> I don't think it was intrusive for source code.
>>

> It's because of the cost. Actual work needed to prevent bitrot of cmake
> build system. If you volunteer to keep it up-to-date and functional all the
> time, we can discuss adding it back.

Can we have both build systems? If somebody find that cmake build is
broken, then he'll fill the bug or pull request in github.

--
Best Regards,
Sergei Nikulov