[nanomsg] Re: Simplifying CMake build

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 06:14:30 +0200

Hi Sergei,

    1. CMake doesn't work that well for cross-building.

Who said that? What was the exact problem and was it raised in
"cmake-dev" list?

Find the discussion here: https://github.com/250bpm/nanomsg/pull/80#issuecomment-20920440

AFAIU, it's not a specific bug, rather the overall state of cross-compilation support in CMake vs. autotools.

    2. CMake-generated packages have CMake dependency whereas autotools
    packages are not dependent on autotools

Could you please provide name for that dependency?

When you unpack the source package you have to do "cmake .", thus cmake has to be installed.

With autotools, the ./configure script is bundled in the package, so you don't need autotools installed to build the package.

I agree with Bruce - if it works why you cut it off?
It was an option - somebody who use it will support it and provide you
with pull request.
I don't think it was intrusive for source code.

It's because of the cost. Actual work needed to prevent bitrot of cmake build system. If you volunteer to keep it up-to-date and functional all the time, we can discuss adding it back.