[muglo] Re: Camera Zoom

  • From: Harold Merton <harold.merton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1904 20:56:42 -0500

Paul digital zoom is a waste of money. It is a marketing gimmick and
should be ignored.
What didital zoom does is enlarge a portion of your "digital negative
area" and blow it up along with the loss of resolution. It would be the
same as taking a 35mm negative and making a straight 8x10 print and then
taking the same negative and using a small portion of the centre of the
negative making an 8x10 print of it. You actually made a 16x20 print  in
the second instance with a lot of the area cropped off to get what you
wanted in the centre to fit the 8x10 format. As you can imagine the
quality suffers greatly. I have been involved in teaching photography in
the secondary school system for the last 18 years and I advise people to
look only at the optical zoom specs. Hope this helps. Harold