[muglo] Re: B&W or PC?

  • From: "Alex" <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:06:04 -0400

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:43:17 -0400, "Joe McGuire" <theguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
said:
That being said, I
> hardly find the OS X interface sluggish compare and in some areas I find
> it more intuitive than the windows products that I am much more familiar
> with.
>
> What mac are you using?

I should say that building the pc was more difficult in a sense than mac
stuff... but I think I found it difficult bc I dont know pc, not bc it is
inherently harder. Formatting and installing an OS on a pc drive took me
a while to figure out.. but if I didnt know how to do it on a mac, i'd
find that hard too...
PC hardware is cheap and mostly universal.. I managed to build a pc out
of bits and pieces and parts of 3 machines..
All the cases are the interchangable (at least towers)... so no headaches
about drive space etc, like there are for the B&W (with one crap external
large bay).

Ok so I could put a B&W in a PC case... but still... $800... 800 will buy
you a new gigahertz something pc.

So... the OS... windows is weird, and hard to install drivers, etc etc...
but OSX?? Ok maybe my experience of it installing with XPostFacto on a
mac clone has made me wary of it when a supported B&W would be easy...
but X is crazy unix... nothing like MAC OS of before... and I have never
seen any mac be faster in X than it is in 9. 9 was faster feeling. X
seems to hang on the net, loading pages... 9 never did. I've experienced
this on my clone tower (ok not the best example I know), and on a 600
ibook with 768RAM.

As for support.. locally I've found mac support to be better... certainly
macoutpost has always been helpful with cheap used parts. PC dealers near
me tend to think used parts that are routinely found in the garbage are
worth $30-$50... maybe I just havent found the right dealer... or maybe i
just need to expand my garbage hunts... lol.. I've _never_ found mac
stuff in the garbage... (is this a good thing? no if I find it, yes if I
dont I guess)

I am as yet undecided... but I am sure if one thing... I dont like OSX,
in fact, I think I hate it. All these years learning MACOS, just to be
forced to switch to UNIX. Well maybe Apple made a big mistake... I'm not
the first to consider learning PC instead of X/UNIX, and I'm surely not
the last... maybe X will finally kill apple. And I have to say, if Apple
is X, I really won't be too sad to see them go.