[muglo] Re: B&W or PC?

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:00:44 -0400

on 8/4/03 5:43 PM, Joe McGuire at theguy@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Uh oh.. I do hope something doesn't start because of this.

Hehehehe. Flame. Flame. Flame. Flame.

> I use a PC (AMD 2000+) and it certainly smokes my TiBook 667 on a number
> of things, as one would expect from a machine that runs 3 times as fast,
> with a much better video card and disk subsystem. That being said, I
> hardly find the OS X interface sluggish compare and in some areas I find
> it more intuitive than the windows products that I am much more familiar
> with.

The TiBook 667 is a nice machine (does it have 1 MB Level 3 or 256 KB Level
3 cache)!!! The AMD 2000+ is actually less than 2x as fast (the "megahertz
myth": 667 G4 * 1.5 > 1 GHz PIV and AMD is slightly less than the comparable
PIV IIRC). Plus, the Altivec code in the G4 makes a notable difference on AV
operations (signal processing).

> I did some very unscientific comparisons between my TiBook and my PC
> with a 135MB image in the latest and greatest Photoshop on both
> machines. All in all, the PC was *maybe* 5%-10% faster, with the PC
> devastating the pb on some tasks and the mac killing the pc on others.
> It wasn't a scripted test or anything, just me and a stop-watch.

Sounds about right. The G4 really smokes on AV operations, so I wouldn't be
surprised if it could outperform a CPU which isn't optimised for video and
isn't really that much faster than the 667 G4 (2x isn't that much... I've
played with 700 MHz iBooks and I don't really find them *that* much faster
than my G3/400).

> What mac are you using?

PowerBook G3/400 with 0.5 GB RAM and 8 MB video RAM. OS X exclusively now,
and I've nearly completed the migration to OS X. I recently switched over
from Entourage 2001 to X and I'm liking the OS X version with one annoying
OS X-specific quirk but I could easily fix that if I wasn't an
information/visual feedback junkie. The only OS 9 apps I still run are
Outlook Express and JMP 4.

Outlook Express ... no OS X version; JMP 5 = $500 so I'm quite happy running
Classic with my lab-provided JMP 4 (& the lab won't provide the $500 for the
OS X upgrade since I'm the only OS X user in our group ;-)!

Eric.