[muglo] Re: B&W or PC?

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:29:20 -0400

on 9/4/03 12:51 AM, Alex at admeddemda@xxxxxx wrote:

> wait wait.. here again i am talking about classic OS.. not X... X (I
> remind myself) is horrid... while you can delete stuff via the trash, you
> leave files hanging around unless you know how to remove them... they
> dont cause any trouble, but sometimes can be personal stuff. (esp on a
> shared mac)... need to learn X/UNIX to figure out how to trash them.

Me don't understand? Leaving files around after you delete them via trash?
Anything that goes into the trash "folder" is deleted when you 'Empty
Trash', and, if it's not, it'll bitch at you that you don't have permission
to do X, Y or Z (I wish Apple would develop a more elegant way to do that).

> And what's with the OSX
> have-to-give-your-name-and-details-to-sign-on/install thing?? What if I
> want an impersonal mac?

One reason, the three "S"es (aren't I clever ;): safety, security,
stability.

If you want a stable, multitasking and secure OS you _have_ to have that
security, there's no way around it!

Look at Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, ME and XP Home. None of them are exactly that
secure and all suffer from stability and security problems. Windows NT,
2000, XP Pro have all had that required level of security and have
traditionally been much more stable than the "consumer" counterparts.

If you want an impersonal Mac, give it an impersonal name like "computer" or
Macintosh G4 QuickSilver ;).

> And why cant it remember the window sizes I assign? (Just like windows!!
> It cant either). How many ways can X bug me?

This, I *think*, is an intentional design "feature" (flaw in my books).
Sometimes it *will* remember the window sizes, sometimes it won't (I haven't
figured out when it does so). And, oftentimes it'll be aggravating and
'remember' to keep windows open on restart when I don't want them open!!!

I understand if it doesn't remember window sizes when you're navigating
through the hierarchy (I like the fact that I don't have to hold down the
option key to close the previous window), but, when you open the window
directly and resize, that I just don't get!!!

OS X is damned good, but it definitely ain't perfect.