[modeleng] Re: Technical education

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 06:29:13 -0500

Alan,

TC makes a good argument for nuts that do not have "washer faces" machined
on them.  The square nuts were more than likely punched from flat sheet or
bar stock and that would have exacerbated the problem with burrs on the flat
side.  The only square nuts I have used since I quit fooling with antique
gas engines was when I made a five stamp ore mill battery  from some
photographs from our Ozonian friend Tel.  The mills were sold as sets of
castings and fastening hardware so they could be shipped to and assembled in
the outback of Oz.  All that was necessary was to use local wood timbers to
build the frame.  There was a blue jillion of carriage bolts, nuts and flat
washers that I had to make for that project, but I had fun.  The square nuts
were made from 3/16" square "keystock" and made the model look more
authentic than by using hex nuts and bolts.  Carriage bolts required a lot
of hand filing to make the square shoulders under the heads.

Jesse in the USA

I can answer the one about square nuts.

 The curved side whould be downwards, as the flat side would tend to tear
 into the surface on the corners unless both were properly machined. Which
 they usually werent with sq nuts. With the curve at the bottom, then the
 curve exerts force and continued toghtening flattens the nut so more is
 bearing down.

 With a washer, I imagine that the latter is more important as the corners
of
 the nut would / should?  be clear of the main surface.

 (Information also from Tubal Cain.)

 Alan