[modeleng] Technical education

  • From: "alan stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:18:46 +0100

We have often discussed and bemoaned the lack of technically competant
engineers and compare the educaton of today to "what it was in my day".

Someone has lent me one of the basic textbooks used by those in the early
stages of a technical education.
(Metalcraft, by F. J. Wynter)

Having read through it and found several errors, the following being an
example:
(Yes, we have also discussed the placing of thin versus thick nuts, but lets
put that to one side for a moment.)

Locknuts.
This (thin) nut is screwed down and tightened up in the normal way. The
thick nut is then screwed down on top of it, to within a few degrees of its
limit. THEN THE THIN NUT IS UNSCREWED BACK UP TO THE TOP NUT.

No prizes for spotting the errors in this method!

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages