[modeleng] Re: Technical education

  • From: "alan stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 19:11:53 +0100

John,
I knew I had it somewhere, but will come onto that.

If the thicker nut is screwed down onto the thin nut "to within a few
degrees of its limit", I doubt that the lower nut COULD be undone. However,
that depends on how one defines "tightened in normal way" and all the othe
terms used.

Now, moving on, the hoary old topic of thin nut at top or bottom keeps
coming up, in ME, EIM, and almost everywhere else.(And this is what I was
looking for.)
ME for 17 March 1995 carried an article by Tubal Cain, in which he traced
the origins of the thin-nut-at-the-bottom idea to Manual of Machine Drawing
& Design, in 1893, and reprinted continuously thereafter, and that
information being repeated in other later publications.
He then goes on to dismiss that idea, with proofs to show its fallacy.

My own view is that for anyone making a model of an early machine should
stick to the thin at top, as that was the way it was usually done, way back.

Of course, today with nuts tightened to torques that deliberately stretch
the studs / bolts, it has moved into an entirely different field.

I still feel that the statment in that book is so loose to be worthless, and
the information, which is stated as fact, far too liable to
misinterpretation, plus, if TC was right, and he usually was, incorrect.
Alan