[modeleng] Re: Technical education

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:53:26 -0500

I saw a polarized stress picture of an acrylic nut and bolt one time many
years ago and it was obvious that most of the stress was concentrated on
only a few threads in the nut, but I don't remember which threads, top or
bottom

Jesse in Ten-o-see

 Alan,

 Well I'm going to stick my head above the parapet.

 This is what I think the guy's going on about. The thin nut is tightened,
 stretching the bolt slightly and making the upper flanks of the nut thread
 bear against the lower flanks of the bolt.

 The other nut is bought down to bear against the lower nut, but not
tightly.
 Again the upper flanks of the nut thread bear against the lower flanks of
the bolt thread.

 By "loosening" the lower nut, the clearance in the thread is taken up in
the
 opposite direction, so now the lower flanks of the nut thread push against
 the upper flanks of the bolt thread. In the meantime the clamping load has
 been transferred to the upper nut threads. The tension in the bolt should
remain the same.

 As to whether he's right.... I dunno.