[modeleng] Re: Technical education

  • From: "alan stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 02:43:55 +0100

I can answer the one about square nuts.

The curved side whould be downwards, as the flat side would tend to tear
into the surface on the corners unless both were properly machined. Which
they usually werent with sq nuts. With the curve at the bottom, then the
curve exerts force and continued toghtening flattens the nut so more is
bearing down.

With a washer, I imagine that the latter is more important as the corners of
the nut would / should?  be clear of the main surface.

(Information also from Tubal Cain.)

Alan