[macvoiceover] Re: Using the Ipad's Keyboard

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:32:17 -0400

Sorry for the muddle.  I was told I could use a touch screen without speech and
that was rubbish for me.  I've been told I can use ipods that don't have speech
but even if some can, I cannot.  That is why or at least part of why it is
important for *you* to *judge* for yourself.  Arm your self with knowledge, not
opinions and then have the experience.  If I decided what I do on the basis of
opinion, I wouldn't have touched a mac and would still believe what the
mudslingers are out there still saying because they love their screen readers
so much, they can't possibly imagine there might be something as good as, or
better let alone a better os.

I know you are not going solely on opinion but many are heavily swayed by it so
It's best to be as factual as possible.

On May 26, 2010, at 10:37 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

actually, if you do it right, by the time you walk away from it, you'll know
whether *you* want one to use.  I've been around this block too many times to
trust my judgement to the judgement of others when it comes down to what I can
and cannot do.  I was told that a touch screen would never be accessible.  I
said it was hogwash and got laughed at well, now we know.  I was told that
windows was the way to go and was laughed at when I started using the mac six
years ago and look who's laughing now.  Both nfb and access world were dead set
against voiceover when it was first born and look at them now.

I was told I could use a touch screen without sppech rubbish.

On May 26, 2010, at 6:55 AM, T Leizert wrote:

Hi, thanks, but I've already read the information on the Apple site; it
explains the features well enough, but not the practicality (effectiveness) of
using the design. I do agree that trying it out would be best, (when it becomes
available here), but even then, trying it out at a retail outlet might tell you
it can be used (which I'm sure I can), but not necessarily if it can be used
efficiently in most situations.

Terry

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Poehlman"
<david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>