[lit-ideas] Re: question on immigration

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:29:36 -0500

>>as supporting the right of illegal immigrants and in particular their children not to starve to death, not to go unhoused, not to be deprived of medical treatment, while they remain, albeit illegally, in the US.

So you would be okay with the illegals and their children being treated, fed, sheltered, soothed--whatever--and then immediately deported? The ultimate velvet glove...followed by a rush to the door?

Carol's points about the cost of the Iraq War, the tax breaks to the superrich, also make sense. We should end offshored corporate tax havens and tax shelters immediately.

All the forms of institutionalized parasitism--whether "illegal" immigration or offshore corporate tax sheltering--should be reduced. At the same time we should treat everyone with generosity and respect.

These are not necessarily contradictory impulses, but part of the same impulse--to make a better society.