[lit-ideas] Re: question on immigration

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:55:53 +0100

CK>Aha. I get it now. It's Scramble of the Bottom-Feeder time.
Instead of attacking the mega-rich people and corporations who
benefit from the new Bush tax cuts (and offshoring, among other things),
let's distract ourselves by fretting about the cost of social programs--
although they're already whittled to very, very little. While we're at it,
let's focus on an issue like gay marriage--or what to do about illegal
immigration--instead of demanding that Bush & Co. fix that mess in Iraq.
Okay, I get it now.

JE>Yep.  I feel OK about having a go at America over this because though we're
generally more socially liberal we have Scrable of the Bottom-Feeder
anti-immigrant (i.e. anti-black/brown immigrant) stuff here too.  That's why
I'm hardwired to check almost verything that's said.
Here in this welfare state we *still* get people moaning about
"immigrants"/"asylum-seekers"
getting all the welfare benefits and "us" getting none.  (But here we do at
least have a go at the politicians re welfare benefits generally and also try,
anyway, to hammer Blair on Iraq.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff