[lit-ideas] Re: question on immigration

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:07:52 -0800

Marlene wrote:
I liked the idea of immigrating to Canada, though. A lot of people I know have
mentioned it...it might be the thing to do...

ck: I investigated becoming a legal resident of Canada 15 years ago. Also
England. Without family connections, or a job waiting, there didn't seem a way.
I'm talking about LEGAL immigration, the kind that would qualify one for some
of those social service goodies, among other things. But other countries said
pretty much the same thing immigration policies in the US say. Just wanting a
better job--or ANY job--is not cause for asylum in this nation, btw. The
immigration protests going on now seem fairly radical in their demands.

What I wonder is whether this current discussion on immigration is based on the
notion that the US should have open borders with Mexico.

Carol