[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest (editing) and Missouri)

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:04:13 +0100

On 9-Nov-08, at 9:15 PM, wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

Who was it that said: "It is always both morally and epistemically wrong to
believe independent of reasons for the belief."

No-one. Apparently not even you, Walter.

Being now a thoroughly (post)modern person, I 'googled' "It is always both morally and epistemically wrong to believe independent of reasons for the belief." "No results found" was the ... er ... result. (This leads me to wonder as to the appropriateness of that assertion. The search *did* yield a result: no *matches* were found. I now suppose I'm not as postmodern as I sometimes like to think; else a) I would not have that wonder, b) I would not have put scare quotation marks around 'googled', and c) I wouldn't know how to use a semi-colon.)

My (plain old merely) modern self would have answered - with the stipulation that the word 'reasons' in the quotation be replaced by the word 'grounds': while not in those exact words (or their classical Greek counterparts), the quotation is 'essentially' found in the utterances of the character 'Socrates' in the dialogues of Plato.

I will grant that some excellent commentaries (or as Whitehead put it, 'footnotes') have subsequently been appended. Indeed, my *thoroughly* modern (as in 'Descartes - founder of modern philosophy') self would have answered - especially if the stipulated replacement of 'reasons' with 'grounds' is not allowed: the essence of the quotation in question finds its most perfect expression in the writings of Immanuel Kant.

Chris Bruce,
lifting his modern skirts to reveal his classical roots
(no wonder I'm not going anywhere fast), in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. [Attempting to slip back into postmodern (dis)guise]: "The pretense to categorality in the utterance is a dead give- away." [Expressed with a cynical/ironic sneer - yeah, that should about cover it ...]

-cb,
unbuttoning his postmodern cloak to reveal the terrier lurking beneath
(I call him 'Diogenes'), in
Hyperreal Cyberspace