[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest (editing) and Missouri)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:36:44 -0600

PE:
I can't think of any belief of mine that I decided to hold.

Nor can I.

On the
other hand, I can remember occasions where I realized that I no longer
believed what I thought I believed.

As do I.

It seems to me that beliefs are
less the result of a decision and, following Nietzsche, more the
surface expression of a great deal of activity that is going on
elsewhere.

I agree with this.

For myself, I often have to work hard to find out what I
believe, not necessarily because the issues are complicated but rather
it is as though the conditions for my holding a belief are not yet
settled.

Ditto.

but a more mundane explanation might be that
Paul, for whatever reason, has an epiphany that he no longer believes
what he thought he believed.

Well, thank God, I finally get to disagree. Actually, the miracle explanation makes more sense to me. I just can't imagine an epiphany of the scope it would take to redo one's whole purpose in life in one fell swoop. Saul must have been a man of extremes, unless the dear nuns lied to me, Saul was fanatically anti-Christian, and was present at (if not a participant in) the stoning death of St. Stephen. If in fact, he had an extremist personality, that would lend more credence to sudden conversion thesis, but even so, absent a miracle, I just can't believe that he suddenly become Paul, the definer of Christianity without a lot of other issues at issue with him.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>