[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest (editing) and Missouri)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:27:17 -0800

John McCreery wrote

...someone else in a similar position might come to a different conclusion or a different decision, either out of some kind of emotional considerations or just out of their superior rational abilities, but here is "my" conclusion or decision.

Walter replied

But the philosophical question here is whether
it is at all rational for a person to claim that P is the judgement or maxim one
should hold in situation S and also claim that other persons in situation S,
possessed by differing (superior?) rational capacities or "emotional
considerations," ought to conclude otherwise. Such a judgement, in my mind, is
wholly irrational.

Robert suggests that Walter has misread John's 'might,' as 'ought,' and in passing notes that it remains to be seen whether someone with different (?) emotional capacities than I and with 'rational abilities' superior to mine, will be in the 'same situation' as I with respect to certain facts and circumstances. Alice may see some state of affairs as being morally fraught, while I may not be sensitive enough or perceptive enough to see its moral dimensions. The notion of a brute 'situation' which each of us reads differently is an illusion.

Robert Paul
Director of Campus Safety
Mutton College