[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest (editing) and Missouri)

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  At the time I found it inconceivable that someone could decide, choose,
> what to believe -- that belief was belief largely untouched by the
> rational.  Something along the orders of "I decided not to be hungry"
> (again, vs., "I decided I was not hungry").  I have w/ some frequency noted
> that I can decide *what* to "believe" until the cows come home, but that
> that decision could not/would not actually change what my real beliefs
> *are*.

Reminds me of the shock we felt when our daughter, back when she was still
at Annapolis, announced that she was converting to Catholicism. Her mother
asked her about the Pope's position on birth control. She replied, "It's
just like the Navy. My superiors tell me what they think I ought to believe.
 I decide what I do believe." Ah, we thought, conversion isn't what it used
to be.
Now, by the way, she identifies herself on Facebook as a "Buddhist Liberal
Catholic."

John

--
John McCreery