[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:05:29 +0100

Saturday, October 30, 2004, 9:25:39 PM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Actually, at least through the fifties, paregoric, a narcotic
VC> concoction was available over the counter.  It was used for
VC> colicky babies and menstrual cramps and I am sure addicts were
VC> using it.  Cough syrup with codeine was available in the US until
VC> about twenty years ago, then about ten years or so ago with
VC> signature of purchaser.  Now it's a prescription drug.

Here we have 3 categories; prescription-only, sold only with
pharmacist's approval, and over-the-counter.  (I think some codeine
preparations are still available over the counter, I'm not sure.) If I
want acetone I have to ask the pharmacist.

Also tylenol and aspirin (and ibuprofen?) are now sold only in very
small amounts (as an anti-suicide measure).  I now get mine on
prescription -- so, in effect, free -- to avoid the expense and
nuisance of that.

VC> In Canada, aspirin and Tylenol with codeine was available over the counter
VC> until relatively recently, as was cough syrup with codeine.

Here too -- here I think they took the codeine out of that cough
medicine.

VC> I wonder how many people consume illegal drugs nowadays because they
VC> actually do have some health problem that might not be diagnosed or they
VC> don't have the money for a doctor or who knows what other reason.

or because they kill the pain better?! (cannabis spray will be
available here on prescription in about 2 years).

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx