[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:25:28 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 27, 2004 11:32 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

Paul wrote:

Yeah, I hear you say "but Paul, it's progress, people used NOT to have
running water, get with the program." The fact [even though Andreas calls
it BOGUS] that a person [if you can call him that] sued a vaccination
company because he got the flu after getting vaccinated is indicative of
WHY the American people are blaming their government for this paucity of
the flu shots. "Give me what I want and it better be more than PERFECT...
but it better not inconvenience me or you'll PAY!" Maybe Kerry will win
afterall.

A.A. I don't quite understand this except that Bush blames lawyers for the
healthcare problems of this country.  Kerry says it's a deeper issue.
Apparently you're siding with Bush.  BTW, the story about the guy who sued (if
it's even true) states an award amount that is chicken feed to the
pharmaceutical companies.  Vaccines bring a very very small return on
investment; it's basically a pro bono for them and they don't want to be
bothered with it.  That's why Marlena's library isn't getting any vaccine this
year, because this is a capitalist system and there's no money to be made in
vaccines.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like capitalist.  But
maybe unbridled capitalism might be a bit much.  This vaccine shortage might
illustrate a good reason to get some government intervention into the system.
Let's see, where have I heard that before?

Kind of a dog eared question, but do you still think Bush's war is a positive
thing?

Andy

a young curmudgeon,

paul