[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:43:45 -0400

>A.A. I don't quite understand this except that Bush blames lawyers for the
>healthcare problems of this country.  Kerry says it's a deeper
>issue.  Apparently you're siding with Bush.

I'm not siding with Bush. I think Bush is a feeble-minded nitwit. However,
Bush's reaction to the question at the debate was more honest and accurate
than Kerry's. Bush gave an answer which addresses the part of the problem,
however incompletely. The solution DOES start with individuals'
sacrificing. The meting out of the existing vaccines to the needy IS a
different problem and one that I have every sympathy about.

I think the reason that there is a problem with the flu vaccinations is
threefold:

1) people became dependent on vaccines because they were marketed well and
increased demand tremendously
2) because of various legal and corporate decisions, it became unprofitable
to make them in country
3) A snafu in one of the providers has now greatly decreased the overall
supply AND screwed up the already in progress delegation of that supply

It's a problem, but it's surely NOT directly the government's fault.

>  BTW, the story about the guy who sued (if it's even true) states an
> award amount that is chicken feed to the pharmaceutical
> companies.  Vaccines bring a very very small return on investment; it's
> basically a pro bono for them and they don't want to be bothered with it.

These are contradictory statements. A settlement of 5 million dollars is
HUGE on a pro bono ROI. Regardless of the fact that they make billions of
dollars on other drugs. The -5,000,000 is in the books and they're not stupid.

>That's why Marlena's library isn't getting any vaccine this year, because
>this is a capitalist system and there's no money to be made in
>vaccines.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like
>capitalist.  But maybe unbridled capitalism might be a bit much.  This
>vaccine shortage might illustrate a good reason to get some government
>intervention into the system.  Let's see, where have I heard that before?
>
>Kind of a dog eared question, but do you still think Bush's war is a
>positive thing?

Reaction omitted for fear of starting a war.

changing into fire-retardant pyjamas,
Paul