[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:21:50 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 27, 2004 1:43 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

>A.A. I don't quite understand this except that Bush blames lawyers for the=
=20
>healthcare problems of this country.  Kerry says it's a deeper=20
>issue.  Apparently you're siding with Bush.

P.S. I'm not siding with Bush. I think Bush is a feeble-minded nitwit. Howe=
ver,=20
Bush's reaction to the question at the debate was more honest and accurate=
=20
than Kerry's. Bush gave an answer which addresses the part of the problem,=
=20
however incompletely. The solution DOES start with individuals'=20
sacrificing. The meting out of the existing vaccines to the needy IS a=20
different problem and one that I have every sympathy about.

A.A.  I'm talking about their responses to the healthcare problems of the c=
ountry, not flu vaccine.  Regarding the bigger picture of healthcare being =
so expensive that it's burdening businesses and huge numbers of the populat=
ion are going without, Bush blamed the lawyers and offered no other solutio=
ns.  If he does reform tort laws to the point where companies no longer hav=
e incentive to behave themselves for fear of lawsuits, what's left?  Return=
ing to the issue of sacrifice, I refer you to Kerry's statement that member=
s of Congress don't sacrifice when it comes to healthcare.  So, let's kill =
the lawyers and have good healthcare in this country.  Fair enough?

P.S. I think the reason that there is a problem with the flu vaccinations i=
s=20
threefold:

1) people became dependent on vaccines because they were marketed well and=
=20
increased demand tremendously

A.A. Childhood vaccinations have made the biggest difference in irradicatin=
g polio, measles, and the like.  Those are mandated.  They've been so succe=
ssful in fact and diseases so minimized that government has to step in and =
remind parents to have their children vaccinated.  These were public health=
 initiatives, not marketing successes. =20

P.S. 2) because of various legal and corporate decisions, it became unprofi=
table=20
to make them in country

A.A. What legal decisions beyond this unverified account of a lawsuit?  Cor=
porate decisions are based on bottom line.  Except Enron, which was based o=
n fiction.

P.S. 3) A snafu in one of the providers has now greatly decreased the overa=
ll=20
supply AND screwed up the already in progress delegation of that supply

A.A. Suppliers are not easy to find because this is a product that makes a =
marginal amount of money for the manufacturer.  It's a nuisance for them.

P.S.  It's a problem, but it's surely NOT directly the government's fault.

A.A.  Perhaps not, but Bush has weakened the FDA.  Generally speaking, he's=
 relaxed restrictions on corporations.  Pollution, for example, is up, ask =
the Sierra Club.  I don't know what he's done with the CDC, but I doubt he'=
s increased funding.  The CDC is our front line of defense against biologic=
al warfare and naturally occuring pathogens.  It's not extremely surprising=
 that this vaccine shortage happened on Bush's watch and not another presid=
ent's.

>  BTW, the story about the guy who sued (if it's even true) states an=20
> award amount that is chicken feed to the pharmaceutical=20
> companies.  Vaccines bring a very very small return on investment; it's=
=20
> basically a pro bono for them and they don't want to be bothered with it.

These are contradictory statements. A settlement of 5 million dollars is=20
HUGE on a pro bono ROI. Regardless of the fact that they make billions of=
=20
dollars on other drugs. The -5,000,000 is in the books and they're not stup=
id.

A.A. Five million dollars is lunch money.  It's a meaningless amount of mon=
ey to the pharmaceutical industry.  Even so, they will point to it and make=
 a big deal out of it if they need an excuse to give up public health orien=
ted production.

>Kind of a dog eared question, but do you still think Bush's war is a=20
>positive thing?

P.S. Reaction omitted for fear of starting a war.

A.A.  This sounds like you still support the invasion.  We have lost so muc=
h ground over there that journalists literally cannot leave their hotel roo=
ms.  There is at least one reporter missing for a month now, and we don't e=
ven hear about it.  A few months ago journalists were able to travel within=
 the country to get news, now they can't walk down a street, can't speak En=
glish in public.  Stringers have to give them information.  Newsweek is pul=
ling out all together.  Only journalists embedded with the military will st=
ay.  It is far more dangerous than Vietnam was at its worst.  There are som=
ething like two dozen landmines in a stretch of about 30 yards in some plac=
es (the actual number is verifiable from that link I sent). Over 700 Iraqi =
police were killed so far.   People are faced with death threats and most l=
ikely death if they vote.  Oil facilities are constantly sabotaged, car bom=
bs happen with such frequency they're not news anymore.  Terrorists are run=
ning the show in Iraq.  Our military is so ineffective over there we may as=
 well be wearing clown costumes.  I almost hope Kerry doesn't win, because =
Bush created this mess and he should be the one to take the hit on it.  Thi=
s war is lost, but he's perpetuating the illusion/delusion that democracy i=
s on the march.  Go figure.

In fairness to Bush, I recently learned (NY Review of Books, haven't read i=
t yet) that the inspiration and ideology of "they're going to treat us as l=
iberators" came from Bernard Lewis.  He apparently convinced the administra=
tion we would be dodging flowers.  I'm sure all that high quality Iraqi oil=
 didn't hurt either in making the decision to invade, oil that is now unava=
ilable to us.  Even if it's true that Bernard Lewis was their muse, it's ha=
rd to believe that Bush et al. are so stupid, so swollen with themselves, t=
hat they didn't even consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, peopl=
e wouldn't roll over and play dead for the occupiers. =20

Andy

changing into fire-retardant pyjamas,
Paul=20