[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:20:49 EDT

In a message dated 10/27/2004 8:41:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
(although Marlena did suggest that her library staff didn't want  to
be making decisions about who did and didn't need innoculation and was  giving
everyone a pass).

Hi,
Um...it is better than what some of us mild-mannered types were suggesting
<g>.

Things like telling the ones who were insisting that THEY get a shot (even
though they were healthy and fine) that there was a lottery--and there were
three shots with strychanine (sp?) mixed in with the rest of them--but they
could take a chance.

Or, (the more favored solution), to just have saline water in a bunch and
give it to them.

It *is* kind of funny, in a way.  Last year (and years prior) they  were
practically *begging* people to come and get shots at the end of the  season.

(oh, and I really am not quite as isolationist as I am acting, I do hope  you
understand...but there *is* that streak in me and sometimes it has to be
controlled as it does jump out of the skin a bit ...)

Last Saturday was our last flu clinic at a library unless the Red Cross is
able to make a deal.  We gave out cookies, juice and coffee to those  standing
in line.  (the first people were there at 3:45 am--but most of the  rest of
them showed up about 8 am...)  We had about 150 shots and  about 200-225 people
show up...they had another 30 shots beyond the 150 from the  vial (they use it
up).   It was one of our northern branches (and so  people don't drive that
far <g> even for flu shots...) and much  easier to deal with compared to the
day before when we only had 90 shots as the  Red Cross had already been to that
community three times (twice before there was  any word on a shortage--again,
no lines, etc. until it was announced...)   THAT branch had about 450 people
come--and even after we gave out tickets and  said we only had 90, probably at
least 100 or more stayed 'just in case'.   (well, maybe it was to eat the
cookies and drink the juice, too...)

We thought refreshments were a good idea--at least even if people didn't  get
a shot, at least they got 'something'.  Had I really been  thinking, I would
have had a storyteller or musician there, too...

Hoping all on this list who needs a shot has had one,
Marlena in Missouri

Wondering if our Red Cross