[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:59:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- JulieReneB@xxxxxxx wrote:
> <sigh>  Okay -- I'll bite.  (I'm really going to
> regret answering all my mail
> tonight, in the morning.)

*Oh, I don't bite, not most of the time anyway.

 Why Israel first ... of
> ALL.....?
> <<This means first of all pressuring Israel to
> renounce
> its nuclear weapons and programs,>>

Because:

1. Israel is not a member of the NPT treaty, so that
it lacks even the conditional, temporary and dubious
legitimacy that conferes on the NPT nuclear powers.

2. It has a recent history of aggression against other
countries, an on-going pattern of violent behavior,
and general defiance of international norms and
opinion.

3*. It is situated in a region where nobody else has
nuclear weapons, which disturbs the regional balance
both by opening the possibility of uni-lateral use and
by creating the need or pre-text for others to seek
their own nuclear weapons.

*3. being the most important in this context.

O.K.