[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:29:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> . But if they
> are not prepared to do this, then I can't see how
> they
> can, with any pretense of legality or fairness, deny
> Iran or any other countries the right to pursue
> nuclear weapons to balance and deter those of their
> enemies. You can't have it both ways, that is what I
> am saying.
> Who said anything about wanting it both ways? The
> important thing is no more
> new countries with nukes.

*Why is the important thing that no *new* countries
obtain nukes, instead that there be less nukes ? This
obviously mixes political objectives with your stated
concerns of non-proliferation. As far as I can see,
non-proliferation is itself not a particularly
important goal except insofar as it reduces the danger
that nuclear weapons get used. The important thing is
surely that no country uses nuclear weapons, not many
how many countries have them. Now, human history
provides little support for the notion that disparity
in power reduces the chances of conflict.

 If Iran had nukes that
> would be one more country
> with nukes.
> The point is survival not arguing about the flags on
> the death machines.

*Oh, really ? It doesn't matter who is wielding the
gun as long as I am wielding it, right ? You just do
what I say and you 're not going to come to any harm,
right ?

Such talk is hollow, especially so after the invasion
on Iraq. The US is the country that has the world's
largest portion of nuclear heads by far, so if the
chances of survival are increased simply in reverse
proportion to the number of nuclear weapons existing,
then it is the US weapons that should be of greatest
concern.

O.K.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash