[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:28:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Not ally, Omar: satellite.

*Carol did use the word 'satellite,' but in the next
sentence she used 'ally.' So I took the liberty of
interpreting her remarks.

Anyway, I don't think that it is correct to refer to
Israel as a satellite. Compare, for example, Taiwan,
which is dependent on the US for defense and political
representation (though economically self-subsistent,
unlike Israel). Taiwan has no influence on the US
policy, and if at any point the US reckons it is in
its interest to turn it over to China, it will do so
without much ceremony. Looks rather different from the
relationship with Israel.

O.K.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash