[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 03:31:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The US is the country that has the world's
> largest portion of nuclear heads by far, so if the
> chances of survival are increased simply in reverse
> proportion to the number of nuclear weapons
> existing,
> then it is the US weapons that should be of greatest
> concern.

That is, I am not suggesting that the total number of
nuclear weapons is an absolute criterion of safety
(short of the situation in which it is 0), though it
sure looks as a more reliable criterion than the
number of countries that possess nuclear weapons. But
even if the number of countries is the criterion, it's
not clear why the safest arrangement is believed to be
the one where those countries that currently happen to
possess nuclear weapons retain them while no new
countries are allowed to obtain them. This is a bit
like suggesting that a high school is going to be safe
if those kids that were the quickest to grab guns and
use them a couple of times (Harris and Clebold ?) are
permitted to keep them, while no new kids are allowed
to get them.

O.K.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash