[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:12:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "carol kirschenbaum" <cskir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 2:16 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

> This "joke" implies an irrational US prejudice towards Israel, on
> racial/ethnic grounds, and against the Arab states in the almost
completely
> Arab region. It ignores the simple fact that Israel has been a US
satellite
> for 55 years (and counting)

Since when has Israel been a "US satellite"? It's been a loose cannon, and
generally more dangerous to its friends than its enemies.

> which has benefitted the US's global interests enormously.

It would have been far better for the US to never have been involved with
Israel at all. We would not be in such serious difficulties with the Arab
world. 9.11 would not have happened at all. Israel is a global pariah.

> Israel has been a trusted and trustworthy ally to the US.

Absolutely false. Israel knowingly and intentionally attacked an American
naval vessel, killing some two dozen sailors. Israel spies on the USA.
Israel forces the USA to take extremely difficult and unpopular positions.
Israel is currently murdering its political opponents, and the USA is forced
to support that. The relationship between Israel and the USA is a long and
tortured one.

> If Israel were situated less strategically, its existence as a Jewish
state
> would still interest the US, yes, though hardly to the extent that it has.

Its "strategic position" should be valuable? Saudi Arabia is far more
"strategically placed" and we get along better with them.

Why does the USA support Israel? The Christian Right supports Israel, but
for the most bizarre reason: they want to provoke the Apocalypse, whereupon
Israel and the Jews will get their Final Solution, in which the Merciful and
Loving Christian God destroys Israel and throws the Jews into an eternal
Hell. And that's Israel's "friends", incl. Mr. Bush, Mr. Ashcroft, and
others, who deeply believe that.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com