[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: "carol kirschenbaum" <cskir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:09:34 -0700

> Carol, wat's the strategy here? Caste everything into
> doubt?
ck: Who knows, maybe I'm unconsciously practicing for the LSATs this
summer...
Interesting that you're feel I'm opposing you when I'm not. I agree with you
on most things, and in most of what you've been saying. Just pointing out
certain complexities that I've heard from other sources--which don't
disagree with you, in the main, either. Why do you feel so threatened?

Accuse others of anti-semitism?
ck: Although it may rankle your sense of fairness to put yourself in that
category, on the subject of Israel, you're about as even-handed as I am
about the Palestinians' rights, and the ways they're calling for them. But
let's give one another some slack for merely being human here.

Certainly you can't expect me to agree that Israel has no right to exist,
never should have in the first place, and should not now be supported in any
way. What the hell do to with the whole region, I really don't know...I have
known a batch of born-again Christians (lived in Central Texas for nearly 20
years--can't avoid the breed there), so I'm highly familiar with the
apocalptic friendliness. I edited your statements for accuracy's sake, not
to start a war.

As for the caskets, I honestly don't care who took those photos or whether
they were banned. That they and this idiotic war exist is horrible enough.

Now, maybe you can help enlighten me on the subject of these "insurgents" I
keep reading and hearing about. They're all over Iraq, apparently. I'm
wondering how anyone who is a citizen of a country can be deemed an
"insurgent" within its borders--especially by an occupying foreign power.
Aren't US troops the insurgents?
Carol