[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:59:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2004 2:28:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
*Well, at least your reading skills have recovered to
some extent. Perhaps we will soon see evidence of
ability to understand whole paragraphs.
____________________
Maybe we'll also see signs of your ability to write a cogent paragraph? Hope
springs eternal ... Keep working on this participles Omar, it'll certainly
prove more beneficial than this Don Rickles thing you've got going.

I've heard the Russian story before - btw are the
Russians also culturally deficient ? - but I haven't
heard of any US pressure on Russia to renounce its
nuclear weapons. This might seem a bit strange given
that Russia, heavily dependent on the West for
economic survival, was surely amenable to pressure.
But then we reflect that pressuring Russia to give up
its nukes would expose the US to similar pressures as
well. It is better, apparently, to spend millions of
dollars on keeping Russian reaction systems in order.
_______
It might seem strange to you that the more Monkeys with Hammers you have in a
room full of harpsichords, the more variables arise to account for the
interactions of those Monkeys with Hammers. It's not a question of the US
undergoing
"pressure" to cut its stockpile.

With China and India and Pakistan being the local Monkeys with Hammers, it
would be fruitless to try to pressure the Russians to ditch their arsenal. We
do
however try to safeguard it a little.  Your objection essentially proves my
point. Rather than supplying the kind of superficial injustice you prefer to
snort at, the Russia problem shows that proliferation is intrinsically bad.

Having to prop up the sagging Soviets is no fun. Nukes are like ornate
tattoos: usually expensive and more or less irreversible possessions. The US
would
probably love to cut is nuke arsenal, if only for the expense reduction, and
limiting the Monkeys with Hammers crowd is the best way to enable that.