[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:17:32 -0500

Julie: Splitting hairs. It seems to me that a fairly central question of this non-dialogue has to do with the use of "Islamic" and "Islamist".

It's not really splitting hairs. As I understand it, and there's always a chance I'm full of shit, in which case I'm sure the usual suspects will correct me, there is a HUGE implicated difference between "Islamic" and "Islamist".

Islamic is a description of someone who is a muslim, while an "Islamist" is a particular type of [probably undesirable] muslim person with a certain agenda -- that is, the elimination of all non-islamist humans, even other islamic. So, according to recent nomenclature, "islamist" is subset of "islamic".

not taking sides,

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada