[lit-ideas] "Stand By Denmark" Rally

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:32:52 -0500

Historically, a terrorist was someone who sought the overthrow of a regime (usually from within) by terrorising the population in an effort to force the regime into ever more suppressive and oppressive measures. The people were then supposed to see the regime for what it was and rise up against it.

A terrorist doesn't necessarily try to kill as many people as possible. He (or she, of course) merely wants to terrorize -- kill 3,000, terrorize 300 million.

In the case of the FLQ in Quebec, they began by blowing up mailboxes. The loud bang frightened the population and the tampered-with mail ensured the involvement of the federal authorities. When they stuck to mailboxes, they enjoyed the sympathy of many Quebecers. They lost it when things spiralled out of control and they kidnapped and killed people. But, and this no-doubt pleased many FLQers...many Canadians were also deeply angered by Trudeau's heavy-handed response -- the instigation of the War Measures Act which allowed the police to raid people's homes, hold them without charge and otherwise step on their civil liberties.

We tend to throw the word around, now, at anyone who kills for political reasons. But that's a distortion of the original meaning.

Ursula

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

<<Terrorism is the issue. Deal with that and we can
discuss Iraq and everything else.>>

I'm going to regret this, but I rarely do my best decision-making at 5 in the morning. I think it's definition time again. Let's define terrorist.
To me, a terrorist is someone who terrorizes: scares, frightens, some one or some group into doing something they want them to by threatening physical, financial, psychological, etc. pain and harm if the thing wanted is not done. Successful terrorists who end up making a name for themselves are successful on following through on the threat.
Julie Krueger