[lit-ideas] Re: "Stand By Denmark" Rally

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:40:01 -0800

Logic, grammar and the definitions of words.  If you use a common word but
expect an uncommon definition to be understood then the onus is on you to
explain yourself.  If you call yourself something then you should accept the
common definition for it.  If you're a sky-diver, then I expect you to jump
out of airplanes.  If you are a free-diver, I expect you to dive without
breathing apparatus after fish.  If you are an Islamist, I expect you to
subscribe to a Fundamentalist interpretation of Islam and to advocate the
expansion of Fundamentalist Islam by any means including violent ones.

If on the other hand you want to be called a sky-diver but don't want to
jump out of airplanes then the onus is on you to explain what sort of
sky-diver you are.

Lawrence