[lit-ideas] Re: "Stand By Denmark" Rally

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:03:29 EST

It was my understanding that "Islamism" and "Islamisist" were terms coined
after the destruction of the Towers to indicate radical fundamentalist Islam
that was outside of the mainstream Islam.  Am I wrong about this?  Was  it a
term that existed in the Muslim world long prior to the Towers?  If  so, how
was
it defined by the Muslims?  If westerners coin a word to  describe a sect or
group and then people who are not exactly in that sect or  group apply the
term to themselves, the word is pretty vacuous.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: "Stand By
Denmark" Rally  Date: 2/25/06 2:49:00 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

No, you donât have to explain your beliefs to me.   You donât have to
explain anything to me.  I made the assumption that any  Islamist who called
himself
an Islamist was in reality an Islamist in accordance  with the definition of
Islamism.  That is the way of language.  If you  use a term with a common
definition, then that definition is to be  assumed.  However, if you use a
common
term with a common definition and  want an uncommon definition to be
understood, then the onus is on you to explain yourself.
I didnât use the italicized words, but I felt safe to  assume them.  Why
would someone join a discussion group and not wish to be  understood?
Lawrence