[lit-ideas] Re: "Stand By Denmark" Rally

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:31:26 -0800

Wikipedia can be contributed to by anyone, it is therefore to be used with
caution as the sponsors of Wikipedia advise.  I read the article Peter
Junger quoted and found I disagreed with some of it.  Several of his points
are wrong according to the authors I've read (see a recent response to
Andreas and Mike for some of the major titles).

So I checked Wikepedia and the article I found didn't match the one Peter
Junger posted.  Here is the one that came up when I asked for information
about Islamism:  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamist>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamist .  I agree with the author of this
article almost completely (I might quibble a bit over the situation in
Turkey).  I notice that he relies heavily on one of the authors I used,
Gilles Kepel whom I also appreciate.

Also, he quotes Andrew Bostom and Robert Spencer both of whom argue that
there is a closer relationship between Islamism and Islam than moderates and
traditionalists like to assert.  This is something I've noticed as well and
keep waiting for Moderates and Traditionalists to disabuse me of this
impression.  Those who look for distance between Islamism and Islam will
have difficulty with these two authors.  They both have articles in
FrontPageMag.

Lawrence