[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:41:31 -0230

Quoting Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> AR:
> >You really want a world filled wall-to-wall with Mike Gearys?
>
> Is this notion a cousin of the Categorical Imperative?  Way to go, Andreas,
> I always liked myself until I read that sentence.

Since Erin is presently indisposed, I feel compelled to offer a reply: Not even
distant cousins. A person is not universalizable. Only maxims can be
universalizable. (Of course, we may want to claim that a person is nothing more
and nothing less than the sum of her maxims over time. Not really all that
crazy an idea, if one thinks about it ....)

Walter C. Okshevsky
Department of Universalization
Categorical Division
Koenigsburg, Rossia